I was feeling down in the dumps after the realization of our always-changing settlement date, so I knew I needed to get in the kitchen to lift up my spirits a bit. I’ve been trying to consolidate the last remaining perishable items we have in the house to make for a smoother and less wasteful move, but I had all the staples for homemade muffins (plus some blueberries and blackberries!) so I adapted this little recipe:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries + 1/2 cup fresh blackberries (although you could really use any fresh berry that you’d like!)
- Enough brown sugar to generously sprinkle on top of the muffins before baking.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with the flour mixture. Fold in berries. Fill muffin cups right to the top (I used a cookie scoop), and sprinkle with a generous pinch of brown sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
They were the perfect partner to my afternoon cup of chamomile and honey.